Sunday, February 13, 2011

Excel Project

The excel project was a great learning experience for me since most of the tasks that were required I hadn't done before. Typing the data into the spreadsheet was no problem for me but when it came to calculating the values to enter into the cells with the formulas, I was a little confused. I did have a problem with the freeze panes though because we were asked to freeze both top rows but the only option from the drop down menu was to freeze only the top row. So I got the top row to freeze but the second row wouldn't cooperate.
Another problem I had was with the TgtHR column. At first I entered the formula into the cell and clicked the drag down button to copy the action to the remaining cells in the column but it wasn't working. I got a little frustrated but finally i figured out how to make it work. Also for the TgtAchieved column we were asked to determine whether the target heart rates were achieved by the people and I had never performed a function with a yes or no answer so that took me a little while to figure out. I finally realized to use a formula stating whether the value is greater (>) than the other value and the output was a true or false answer. I actually enjoyed practicing all of these functions and learning how to do them more efficiently.
The one part of the project that I didn't necessarily enjoy was making the pivot tables. Besides being showed on the lecture how to configure a pivot table, I had no prior experience with creating one so that part was a challenge. Once I played around with it for a while I figured out how to make one and they seem to be a very useful tool for displaying portions of data.  Overall I learned a lot throughout the project and I'm looking forward to using the skills that I have learned with my own personal projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment